Location: Yerevan Zoo
Event: Armenia’s Ministry of Health reports that a large number of animals at the Yerevan Zoo have died due to tuberculosis. Zoo employees tested were found not to be infected. While the ministry reports that visitors to the zoo are generally not at risk of contracting the virus, it can pose a risk to those coming into close contact with the sick animals. The virus can be transferred via the air, through the respiratory system.
Actions to Take:
- The Embassy is advising mission personnel to avoid the zoo for the time being; and while visiting the zoo is not restricted, cautions parents to carefully monitor their children and avoid close proximity with some of the animals. These animals include animals like elk, bison, camels, horses, ponies and cattle.
- U.S. Embassy Yerevan, Armenia
+(374-10) 49-45-85 or for after-hour (374-10) 49-44-44 or
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Armenia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook