** PLEASE NOTE that if you make an appointment on-line to discuss a visa matter, staff will not be able to assist you. All visa-related inquiries must go to our Visa Navigator to find the answer to question. **

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. Please contact the Consular Section as soon as possible after your child’s birth. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Applications

  • At least one parent is a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born,
  • You or your spouse are the biological parent of the child born abroad, and
  • You must travel to U.S. Embassy Yerevan for the in-person interview.
  • You must pay using an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application.

Presence of both parents and child at the Consular Section is mandatory. 

To establish the child’s citizenship under the appropriate provision of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted.

NOTE: Any supporting documents not in English must be submitted with a certified English translation.

  • Child’s original official birth certificate.
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizenship of the parent(s), such as an original birth certificate (or certified true copy), current U.S. passport or original certificate of naturalization.
  • Parents´ marriage certificate (if applicable).
  • Divorce certificate, if either parent has been divorced.
  • If only one parent is an American citizen, proof of American citizen parent´s physical presence in the U.S. The citizen parent must be able to furnish proof of 5 years´ residency in the United States prior to the child´s birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14. Proof may include original high school and college transcripts, and/or passport stamps showing prolonged periods of stay in the United States. Tax documents and pay stubs alone are not considered sufficient proof of physical presence in the United States.
  • If the child is born prior to June 12, 2017 to a single mother, proof that the American citizen single mother has at least 1 year of continuous physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth.
  • Completed form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

A Consular Report of Birth will be issued once the child has been documented as a U.S. citizen. This Report of Birth is evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship and is used in lieu of a birth certificate in the U.S.

Other Important Information

If you are applying for your child’s passport as well, you must bring:

  • A passport application Form DS-11 .
    o Print the application single-sided for your appointment (when printed, there should be a QR bar code in the upper left-hand corner of the first page).
  • 2 pre-cut, 2×2 passport photos  per applicant –  there are no photo services at or near the embassy.
  • Cash to pay the correct fee.
  • Supporting documentation with copies of each original (including for bio page of passports).


1. To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video ( to learn more about creating your account.
2. Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist.
3. Once you complete the online application and submit payment, we will reach out you. For further information you can contact us via email acsyerevan@state,gov . Please be aware that it takes at least 72 hours after the application submission to allow your payment to be processed.  Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.
4. Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application.

In cases involving Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), including surrogacy, in-vitro fertilization, and other means of assisted reproductive technologies, clear evidence of the child’s genetic relationship to the U.S. citizen parent is required.
This could include but is not limited to: contract with the fertility clinic or hospital clearly stating whose genetic material was included in the process, documentation of procedures including harvesting of egg or sperm, fertilization and implantation of embryo, and other medical paperwork documenting the
Additional paperwork to bring could include: contract with surrogate, documentation of freezing or storage of genetic material, hospital records, payment records for procedures, and other documents as requested by the consular officer.
Please note DNA testing may be requested in ART cases. If the documentation provided at the interview does not clearly establish the stated relationship between the parent and the child, DNA testing may be recommended. DNA testing is the only biological testing method currently accepted by the Department to establish a biological relationship. Please note that such testing is entirely voluntary and that all costs of testing and related expenses must be borne by the applicant and paid to the laboratory in advance. Submitting to testing does not guarantee the subsequent issuance of a passport or CRBA. For additional information on ART cases, please read the following information in full to prepare for your appointment: