Location: Alaverdi, Armenia on Route M6 and Armenia to Georgia Rail line
Event: Demonstrations began this morning (October 19, 2018) blocking the M6 highway in Alaverdi between Yerevan and Tbilisi and the railway in that area. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid that area and use an alternate route that also avoids the Armenian – Azerbaijani border. It is likely this traffic disruption will continue for the next 48 hours.
The Embassy is advising mission personnel to avoid the area throughout the next 48 hours.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area.
- Utilize an alternate route if traveling between Yerevan and Tbilisi that’s not close to the Line of Contact between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Monitor local news for updates
- Review your personal security plans.
- Make contingency travel arrangements.
- U.S. Embassy Yerevan, Armenia
+(374-10) 49-45-85 or for after-hour (374-10) 49-44-44 or
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Armenia Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook