Location: Gatherings throughout downtown Yerevan, Armenia and spreading to other parts of Armenia.
Event: Demonstrations that began on April 13 continue throughout downtown Yerevan, Armenia (and in other locations throughout Armenia) with no set end date. The groups are protesting the Armenian government. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force presence and these forces are detaining individuals in the area of the protests. Additional demonstrations in Gyumri, Vanadzor, Spitak, and Armavir are occurring. Protesters have blocked roads without notice, which affects traffic flows and routes. Due to the unpredictable nature of the protests and heavy police presence, there could be a potential for violence.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid these demonstrations.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
· U.S. Embassy Yerevan, Armenia (https://www.usa.am/)
+(374-10) 49-45-85 or for after-hour (374-10) 49-44-44
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Armenia Country Information
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.