The U.S. Embassy in Yerevan informs U.S. citizens residing in Armenia, that demonstrators have announced two bicycle rallies to take place on Sunday, April 17, 2016 in Yerevan, related to the recent escalation of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh (NK).
- The first bicycle rally is scheduled to begin at 10:00am. Riders will meet at 8 Sayat Nova Street and have announced their intent to ride towards the town of Margara in Armavir region.
- The second bicycle rally is scheduled to begin at 12:00 pm. Riders will meet in Republic Square and have announced their intent to ride towards the Yerablur Military Cemetery.
While the routes have not been formally announced, routes for both rallies will most likely include Isakov Avenue. Roads and the surrounding areas may also be congested. As a reminder, the U.S. Embassy is closed on weekends.
Expect delays in the vicinity of these demonstrations. Citizens planning to arrive in Yerevan during the demonstration time may want to consider adjusting their travel plans accordingly.
We remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and turn violent. Citizens should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations, or avoid them if possible.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for updates, and report specific incidences of targeted violence to the U.S. Embassy in Yerevan at the number below. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Armenia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yerevan, located at 1 American Avenue, tel. 10-46-47-00 and fax 10-46-47-42. The Consular Section is open from 9:00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m., with time reserved for U. S. citizen services from 2:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for official U.S. Embassy holidays. For more information, see the Embassy’s website. For after-hour U.S. citizen emergencies please call (374-10) 49-44-44.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).