Citizenship Services

The Consular Section of the U. S. Embassy in Yerevan provides a variety of services for U.S. citizens. There are two units in the Consular Section: the U.S. Citizen Services Section and the Visa Section.

The Consular Section is located at 1 American Avenue, Yerevan, off of Admiral Isakov Avenue. Our local telephone number is (374-10) 49-45-85. Our fax number is (374-10) 46-47-37.

  • Claiming U.S. Citizenship and Applying for Your First Passport

If you have been issued any of the following documents, you may immediately begin your application for your first U.S. passport. If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority.

  • A U.S. Birth Certificate – for certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose;
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship – for certified copies, please contact the S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;
  • A U.S. Naturalization Certificate – for certified copies, please contact the S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

Once you are in possession of one of the listed documents, please see our instructions for applying for your first U.S. passport.

If you were born outside the United States, have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen and are:

over the age of 18: you should review the information concerning transmission requirements to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time. If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please click here and follow the instructions provided.

  • Overview

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire  and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

  • Important Information on the Loss of Nationality Process

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. All renunciations in Yerevan include an initial appointment to discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a consular official over the phone prior to your final interview.  For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.

  • Documents Required (Loss of Citizenship)

You should gather the following documents:

  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship; (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport;
  2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable;
  3. Bio-pages of all current foreign passports;
  4. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable;
  5. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable;
  6. Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls);
  7. Completed form DS-4079 (only for relinquishments) – download the form from the Department of State website here;
  • Fees

You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 or equivalent in Armenian dram.

If you have lost or misplaced your “green card” or have questions about Returning Resident Visas, please visit or