Lost Green Card

Travel to the United States When There is a Lost or Stolen Permanent Resident Card

The Consular Section in Yerevan cannot replace a lost or expired green card in Armenia. To replace or renew your green card, you must return to the U.S., contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service and apply for a new green card. To apply for a new Green Card, applicants must file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, and pay the filing fee. Visit the following page at uscis.gov/I-90 for more information.

However, depending on how long you have been outside of the United States the Consular officer may issue a secure boarding foil to you if your green card is lost or stolen which may be considered by the airline as evidence of your status as an LPR in order to return to the US. The carrier documentation allows an LPR to prove to a transportation carrier only that they are authorized to travel to a United States port of entry to apply for admission to the United States. It is not a guarantee of admission or parole into the United States. CBP will conduct all required inspections when the LPR arrives at a United States port of entry and will make the final determination of whether to admit or parole the LPR to the United States.

To proceed with this you should schedule an interview appointment with the Immigrant Visa Unit through registering with our service provider, CSC, by visiting the following webpage https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-am/iv. You can find out more information at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-AM/iv/information/lpr_help.

In order to apply you must file Form I-131A in person at a U.S. Embassy, Yerevan. When you appear in person to file Form I-131A, you must bring evidence that you paid the fee, such as a copy of the payment confirmation page or a copy of the email payment receipt notice. Along with the complete I-131 form and the USCIS payment receipt, you should present a police report documenting the time and circumstances green card was lost or stolen, your passport and 2 (5cm X 5cm) – sized photos.

The filing fee for Form I-131A is $360. You must pay the fee for this form online using a credit or debit card or U.S. bank account through USCIS online payment system at https://public-prod-elis2.uscis.dhs.gov/efile/app/app/travel/#!/

You cannot use a fee waiver for this form. There is no possibility for refund, regardless of the decision on the application. If the consular officer determines that the applicant has not been absent from the United States for one continuous year or more, the applicant may be issued a boarding foil as a temporary proof of the LPR status.

The boarding foil may be valid for no more than 30 days, single entry.

The process generally takes two weeks, but for some cases it may take longer.  You should not make any travel plans until you receive your boarding foil.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards

To enter the U.S., a LPR may present an expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date in place of a boarding foil.

If you have been outside the United States for over one year

You may apply for a returning resident visa to return to the United States if you have been outside the United States for more than a year and did not obtain a Reentry Permit.

If you have been outside the United States for over one year, you need to apply for a returning resident visa in order to determine if you still have legal status in the United States. Please make an appointment with the Immigrant Visa Unit through registering with our service provider, CSC, visiting the following webpage https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-am/iv as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-AM/iv/information/lpr_help to submit your completed application – “DS-117 Application to Determine Returning Resident Status.” There is a non-refundable fee for the returning resident application, payable at the Consular Section. After you submit your application, the Consular Section will investigate your case to determine whether you still have a claim to legal permanent resident status in the United States. If you do qualify for returning resident status, you then will have to pay the immigrant visa fee to proceed with an application for an SB-1 immigrant visa. SB-1 applicants are subject to the same application processing fees and documentary requirements, medical examination, and administrative processing that apply to all IV cases.  See the required documents list for SB1 visa application here (PDF 164 KB).