Returning Resident Visa

A U.S. permanent resident or conditional resident who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.  You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on

Please make an appointment with the Immigrant Visa Unit by registering at the following webpage as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident at to submit your completed application – “DS-117 Application to Determine Returning Resident Status.”

You must pay non-refundable fee to file the returning resident application at U.S. Embassy Yerevan.  After you submit your application, we will review your case to determine whether you still have a claim to legal permanent resident status in the United States.  If you do qualify for returning resident status, you then will have to pay the immigrant visa fee to proceed with an application for an immigrant visa.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards

To enter the U.S., a LPR may present an expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date in place of a boarding foil.